What to Bring on Outings, "10 Essentials"
(Yes, and there are more than 10):
- Water (at least 2 quarts)
- Lunch and snacks
- Rain gear or poncho
- Appropriate clothing & footwear for the location (dress in layers)
- Whistle (to signal others if you are separated)
- Moleskin (in case of blisters)
- Pocket knife
- Flashlight (in the unlikely event you are still out after sunset)
- Sun protection (even with a cloud cover, you can get burnt!)
- Insect repellent
- Fire starter (should you need emergency warmth)
- Prescribed medication (most outings are in remote areas where medical aid is not readily available.) (You'll also need either a fanny or back pack to haul the stuff around)
The "unofficial" essential is Chocolate!!!